FERRUM, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Lacrosse scored 14 goals in the first half while, while the Yellow Jacket defense allowed just two goals in the same time frame as R-MC frustrated the Ferrum Panthers Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference match. Three Yellow Jackets scored three goals in the win.
Score: Randolph-Macon 20, Ferrum 3
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./W.B. Adams Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (9-6, 6-1 ODAC), Ferrum (3-11, 0-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon won the initial draw control as senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) earned it and pushed it forward for a shot shortly into the opening minute. That led to an opportunity for sophomore Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va. / Midlothian) to send an assisting pass to sophomore Bella Samper (Spring, Texas / Klein Oak) for Samper's first goal of the game.
- R-MC added a goal by senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) just moments later after sophomore Kendall Griffis (Cherry Hill, N.J. / Bishop Eustace) won the draw control.
- Ferrum got one of the goals back, cutting R-MC's lead to 2-1, but R-MC went on a tear, scoring at nearly a goal a minute clip for almost ten minutes of play. The ten-minute frenzy of offense was part of a 12-0 run for R-MC, which lasted for more than 20 minutes of play. Within the run, senior Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) scored a pair, Webster scored two in a row, Hannah Jones scored her second of the game and Samper scored her second and third. The opening goal of the run was scored by to sophomore Taylor Sheppard (Queenstown, Md. / Queen Anne's County). Samper got the assist credit for the goal.
- Hannah Jones scored about a minute later on an unassisted play. Her goal was followed by a pair of free position goals, the first by Rachel Jones and the second by freshman Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va. / St. Catherine's), each a minute apart.
- Webster scored her pair-in-a-row over a three minute period, with the first being assisted by Sheppard and the second coming on a free position attempt.
- Riley scored at 18:51 to go, putting R-MC ahead 9-1 and was followed about a minute later by Samper, who scored on a free position shot. Junior Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va. / Patriot) was next to score, as she took a shot that landed in the cage following an assisisting pass from Lexi Jones, putting R-MC ahead 11-1 with 16:56 to go.
- Samper scored her third of the half after Riley sent her the assisting pass with 14:29 to play. The goal ended the nearly ten straight minutes of scoring for R-MC.
- The overall scoring run continued, however. Rachel Jones and sophomore Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md. / North County) each scored on free position shots at 8:47 and 4:05 respectively, which helped send the game to halftime with R-MC in control at 14-2.
- Webster assisted on a goal by Griffis to open the second half of scoring at 27:49 to go in the period, while Bain added her second of the day as Riley sent an assisting pass to her at the 23:58 mark. Ferrum earned a goal about a minute-and-a-half later, leaving R-MC ahead 17-3.
- Webster scored her third of the day on an unassisted play at 19:57 to go in the second half.
- Junior Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md. / Annapolis) sent an assist over to Bain for her third and final goal of the day at the 9:26 to go mark.
- Riley and Castle each scored in the closing minutes on free position shots to finalize the game at the 20-3 score.
Inside The Numbers
- Bain, Samper and Webster each scored three goals. Webster also made two assists while Samper added one. Rachel Jones, Hannah Jones and Riley each had two goals. Riley finished with two assists as well.
- Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made two saves while facing three shots in her 20 minutes of work. Freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md. / Havre de Grace) also had just over 20 minutes of play in goal, while junior Katie Thompson (Burke, Va. / Lake Braddock) played 18 minutes without facing a shot.
- Defensively, R-MC forced six caused turnovers. All three of the Jones', Castle, Hewes and Riley each had one CT.
- Henderson, Castle, Wells and Lexi Jones each picked up two ground balls to lead the team.
- Hannah Jones led the team with four draw controls. Griffis added three. Henderson, Rachel Jones and freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md. / Northeast) each threw in two. R-MC held the edge in draw controls with 17 compared to Ferrum's six.
- R-MC was a perfect 10-10 on clears attempts.
- Griffis' goal was her first of the season and the second of her career.
The Yellow Jackets will face Bridgewater at home on Wednesday at 4:30 PM.