ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon senior Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C. / Northern Guilford) and junior Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md. / Annapolis) led the Yellow Jackets with three goals each as Women's Lacrosse defeated Bridgewater in a Wednesday afternoon matchup at Day Field. Five other Yellow Jackets scored more than one goal in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference tilt.
Score: Randolph-Macon 19, Bridgewater 4
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (10-6, 7-1 ODAC), Bridgewater (4-13, 3-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon opened with the first score of the game about three minutes into the contest. Senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) scored her 37th of the year. Bridgewater earned the goal back to tie the game at 1-1.
- But R-MC went on a 9-0 run by itself, lasting the better part of ten minutes. Sophomore Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va. / Midlothian) started the run with a goal 30 seconds after BC's first. Jones added her second of the game a little more than a minute later. She was followed by freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md. / Northeast) with her eighth of the season, Riley with her 22nd and sophomore Kendall Griffis (Cherry Hill, N.J. / Bishop Eustace) scoring her second of the year. All five came before the 20 minute mark of the period, putting R-MC ahead 6-1.
- Castle scored three straight to put the Yellow Jackets ahead 9-1 with 15:28 to go in the frame. Her third of the sequence was in an advantage situation. The run wrapped up with junior Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va. / Patriot) hitting the cage with 12:19 to go in the frame. R-MC took at 10-1 lead at that point.
- Bridgewater ended the run with a goal about a minute later, but the R-MC offense never let up. Sophomore Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md. / North County) hit a goal from right in front of the cage, slotting it to the back for the score. Senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) repeated the action less than a minute later. R-MC added a 13th goal with 3:16 to go as junior Bain hit her tenth shot of the year on a goal that snuck past the goalie into the opposite corner. Sophomore Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J. / Red Bank Catholic) hit a shot with about a minute left in the frame as she faked out the keeper, slotting it into the opposite upper corner. R-MC took a 14-2 lead into the second half.
- Riley started the scoring in the second half with a goal about four minutes into the period, sending the ball to the opposite side of the net as she crossed in front of the cage. She did it again about three minutes later, scoring the goal on the move and giving R-MC a 16-2 lead.
- BC earned a goal around the 21:00 minute mark to cut into the Yellow Jacket lead, but still left the differential at 16-3. Lexi Jones scored her second of the day, cutting across the face of goal to score. Griffis scored R-MC's next goal about a minute later as she dropped past the goal and then doubled back, fighting through traffic to score her second of the day.
- Both teams added one more goal before the end of the game with Webster rounding out the day for R-MC, scoring on a free position attempt with 5:43 to go in the second period, finalizing the score at 19-4.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC controlled possession and shots in the game, making 40 shots compared to Bridgewater's 11.
- Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made three saves in her half of work in goal. Freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md. / Havre de Grace) also got a half of work in goal.
- R-MC made just three turnovers in the game, while forcing ten of Bridgewater's 15 total turnovers. Castle and Hewes each had two caused turnovers, while seniors Riley, Olivia Mott (Dayton, Md. / River Hill), Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J. / Donovan Catholic) as well as freshmen Hynson, Henderson and Katie Sheehan (Gambrills, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) each added one.
- Samper led the team with four ground balls and was followed by Riley and Hewes, who each had three. Webster and Roth each added two as well.
- Hewes led the team with five draw controls. Rachel Jones added three DC's on the day.
Randolph-Macon will face Shenandoah on Saturday at Day Field beginning at 1:00 PM. Before the game, the Yellow Jackets will honor the team's six seniors.