LEXINGTON, Va. - Senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) won the draw control following the tying goal with 92 seconds remaining and scored the game-winning goal with 21 seconds left as the second-seeded Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team edged #3 Roanoke 13-12 in the semifinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
Score: #2 Randolph-Macon 13, Roanoke 12
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Watt Field
Records: R-MC 12-6, RC 12-7
How It Happened
- Hannah Jones had the first goal of the game for the Yellow Jackets two minutes into the contest. Senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) added a goal four minutes later to give R-MC a 2-0 advantage. After a score by the Maroons with 16 minutes remaining in the first half, the Yellow Jackets answered quickly as sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) scored on a pass from sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) as R-MC led 3-1 midway through the first period. RC would net the next four goals before Samper stopped the streak with 7:45 left as the Yellow Jackets trailed 5-4. After the Maroons extended their lead again to two at 6-4, freshman midfielder McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast) scored with 4:10 remaining and Samper netted her second score with 2:30 left as R-MC leveled the contest at 6-6. RC would net the final goal of the half to take a 7-6 edge at intermission. Samper led the Yellow Jackets with five shots in the first half. Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had 12 saves in the first 30 minutes for R-MC.
- Riley scored less than a minute into the second half on an assist by junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) as the Yellow Jackets tied it at 7-7. The Maroons tallied three straight goals before Riley stopped the streak with a pair of goals to make it a 10-9 contest midway through the second half. RC added a goal to go up two before Mattone scored on a free position shot as R-MC pulled within one at 11-10 with 7:20 remaining. The Maroons again extended the lead to two before Samper scored with 5:35 left to make it 12-11. Following a timeout, Riley tied the game with 1:32 remaining. Hannah Jones won the draw control and eventually scored the go-ahead goal with an assist from Samper with 21 seconds left as the Yellow Jackets took their first lead of the second half at 13-12. RC won the draw control and had a final shot with four seconds left, but Wells recorded her 20th save to secure the win for R-MC.
By The Numbers
- Wells matched her season high with 20 saves.
- Riley finished with a season-high five goals. Samper had three goals and two assists. Hannah Jones and Mattone both had two goals. Hannah Jones had the first and final goals of the contest.
- The teams were even in shots with 37 each. Riley and Samper both had seven shots, while Hannah Jones added six.
- Hannah Jones also topped the team with five draw controls.
- Samper and Hynson both had a pair of ground balls.
- R-MC committed eight turnovers in the first half, just four in the second half.
- R-MC had a pair of one-goal wins over Roanoke this season. The Yellow Jackets edged the Maroons 16-15 during the regular season on March 30 in Ashland.
- Randolph-Macon advances to the ODAC Championship game against top-seeded Washington and Lee, the top-ranked team in the country. The title tilt will be on Sunday, May 5 at 2 p.m.