LEXINGTON, Va. - Senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored three goals, and her sisters Rachel and Lexi each scored once as the second-seeded Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team fell 17-7 to top-seeded and top-ranked Washington and Lee in the finals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament on Sunday afternoon.
Score: #1 Washington and Lee 17, #2 Randolph-Macon 7
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Watt Field
Records: R-MC 12-7, W&L 17-2
How It Happened
- The Generals had the first four scores before Hannah Jones netted her first goal of the day with 23:16 left in the first half. W&L would tally the next eight goals to take a 12-1 advantage at intermission Junior goakleeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had seven saves in the first half.
- The Yellow Jackets would outscore W&L in the second half. Freshman midfielder Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va./St. Catherine's) had the first goal five minutes into the second half to make it 12-2. The Generals had the next two goals before R-MC scored three straight. Hannah Jones scored on a free position shot with 17:00 left, Henderson had her second goal with 12:28 remaining, and Hannah Jones finished on a pass from junior attack Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va./Patriot) with 8:24 left to make it 14-5. W&L had the next two goals before Rachel Jones converted a free position shot with just under five minutes remaining to make it 16-6. After a goal by the Generals, Lexi Jones scored with 26 seconds remaining to make the final 17-7.
By The Numbers
- Wells, Riley and sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) were named to the ODAC All-Tournament Team.
- The Jones sisters are three-quarters of a set of quadruplets at R-MC. Jake is a member of the Yellow Jacket men's lacrosse team.
- Hannah Jones scored in every games this season and had multiple goals in 18 of 19 contests.
- R-MC matched W&L in second-half shots at 10 each. Henderson, Hannah Jones and senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) each had three shots, all on goal.
- Wells finished with 12 saves.
- Hannah Jones and Rachel Jones both had two draw controls.
- Riley and sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) both had a pair of ground balls.
- Hannah Jones had a two caused turnovers.
- R-MC was in the ODAC title game for the fifth straight season.
- The Yellow Jackets had their eight-game win streak halted.
- Randolph-Macon has concluded its 2019 season. The Yellow Jackets will partner with Richmond Region Tourism to host the 2019 NCAA Division III Women's Lacrosse National Championship May 25 & 26 on Day Field on R-MC's campus.