ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) and freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) both tallied goals as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team kicked off the 2018 campaign with a 2-0 victory over St. Mary (Md.) on Friday afternoon.
How It Happened
- Following a hydration break in the first half, Nelson took a long pass from sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) and finished from the left side to give R-MC a 1-0 advantage in the 25th minute.
- After a second-half hydration break, Czyzewski showed some nifty footwork in working through the defense and looping a shot over the keeper from 25 yards out for her first collegiate goal.
- The Yellow Jacket defense of senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Maddie Burnns (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) and freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) recorded their first shutout. R-MC had six shutout victories in 2017.
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC held a 22-6 advantage on shots, including 12-1 for shots on goal. Nelson topped the Yellow Jackets with seven shots, including four on goal. Czyzewski had six shots, of which five were on goal.
In the Net
- Junior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) and freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) combined for the shutout in goal for the Yellow Jackets. Newman took care of the first half and Carr worked the second half.
- "The team possessed a fantastic attacking mentality the entire game, " said R-MC head coach Jay Howell. "Two great goals by Gabby and Nicole. Focused team defending kept the clean sheet."
- Play was halted in the 76th minute due to lightning north of Ashland. It remained mostly sunny over campus, but lighting was within six miles following a roll of thunder.