DANVILLE, Va. - Freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) netted a pair of goals and freshman Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) tallied her first collegiate goal as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team recorded its second shutout with a 3-0 victory at Averett on Sunday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Averett 0
Location/Venue: Danville, Va./Daly Field at Frank R. Campbell Stadium
Records: R-MC 2-0, Averett 0-2
How It Happened
- Czyzewski snapped a scoreless tie by firing a shot inside the far post in the 25th minute to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 lead.
- Late in the first half, Smalls finished a shot inside the far post in the 40th minute to put R-MC on top 2-0. Freshman Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield) recorded the assist on the play.
- In the second half, Czyzewski put a rebound in the net off a corner kick to put the visitors ahead 3-0 in the 74th minute. Senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va./James River) registered the assist.
- The Yellow Jacket defense led by senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Maddie Burns (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) and freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) recorded their second shutout in as many matches. R-MC had six shutout wins in 2017.
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC held a 65-2 advantage on shots, including 24-2 on shots on goal. The Yellow Jackets had a 35-0 edge on shots in the first half. Junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) led the victors with 17 shots, while Czyzewski fired 12 shots, including seven on goal.
In the Net
- Junior goalkeeper Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) and freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) combined on the shutout. Carr had a pair of saves in the second half.
- "The team was an attacking force," said R-MC head coach Jay Howell, "creating many opportunities with freshman Nicole Czyzewski scoring two goals (three this weekend) and Tyria Smalls getting her first collegiate goal!"
- R-MC started the season 2-0 for the first time since 2014, when the Yellow Jackets won their first four matches. The first two victories in 2014 were shutouts, as were three of those first four wins.