ASHLAND, Va. - Freshman Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) netted her first collegiate goal one minute into the contest as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw in double overtime with Washington and Lee on Saturday afternoon at the R-MC Soccer Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Washington and Lee 1, 2 OT
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: R-MC 3-0-1, 0-0-1 ODAC; W&L 2-1-2 overall, 0-0-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- Soliday nailed a shot into to upper right corner from 30 yards out just 1:04 into the match to give the Yellow Jackets the early advantage.
- The Generals answered eight minutes later, sneaking the ball inside the far post on their first corner kick of the contest to even the score at 1-1. It was the first goal surrendered by the R-MC defense in four matches this season.
- R-NC held an 11-3 advantage on shots in the first half.
- Each team had eight shots during the second half. Freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had all four of her saves in the second period for R-MC.
- The Yellow Jackets had two shots in the first overtime period, but could not register a goal. The Generals has a pair of shots in the second OT period, compared to one on goal for R-MC.
Inside the Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets held a 22-13 advantage in shots for the match, including 9 to 5 in shots on goal. Sophomore McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) paced R-MC with six shots. Soliday had five shots, including three on goal.
- The Generals had 10 corner kicks, compared to six for R-MC. W&L had seven corners in the second half, while the Yellow Jackets had three corners in the first half and three more in the second half.
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va./James River), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run), freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) and freshman Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School), has allowed just one goal in four matches this season.
Randolph-Macon will hit the road for an away contest at Eastern Mennonite on September 29 at 6 p.m.