LYNCHBURG, Va. - Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) netted a pair of goals as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team posted a 2-0 ODAC victory over No. 20 Lynchburg Wednesday evening, the first win for the Yellow Jackets over the Hornets since 1996.
Score: Randolph-Macon 2, No. 20 Lynchburg 0
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Shellenberger Field
Records: R-MC 5-0-1, 2-0-1 ODAC; LYN 9-2, 2-1 ODAC
How It Happened:
- The Hornets took six of the first seven shots of the match, but could not find the back of the net. Kent nailed a shot from 35 yards out in the 43rd minute as the Yellow Jackets took a 1-0 lead at halftime.
- Kent added an insurance goal in the 82nd minute on a penalty kick as R-MC posted a 2-0 victory.
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Mary Virginia Kelly (Midlothian, Va./James River), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run), freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) and freshman Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School), posted its fifth shutout of the season. The Yellow Jackets have allowed one goal in six matches this season.
Inside the Numbers:
- R-MC had lost 24 straight matches to LYN, being outscored 108-5 in those contests. In the past 15 meetings, the Hornets outscored the Yellow Jackets 79-1. The Yellow Jackets were 0-25-2 against Lynchburg since beating the Hornets 4-0 in 1996.
- Lynchburg held a 16-13 advantage in shots, while R-MC had a 7-4 edge in shots on goal. Kent paced the victors with six shots, including four on goal. Heuchan had a pair of shots for the Yellow Jackets.
- Freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had four saves for the Yellow Jackets, including three in the first half.
Randolph-Macon will host Sweet Briar on Saturday, Oct. 6 at 12 noon on the R-MC Soccer Field as part of Family Weekend.