ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon women's soccer team registered its 10th shutout of the season in a 0-0 tie in double overtime with Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets and Marlins remain in a tie for first in the ODAC standings with 5-0-2 conference marks.
Score: Randolph-Macon 0, Virginia Wesleyan 0 2ot
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: R-MC 9-0-2, 5-0-2 ODAC; VWU 8-3-2, 5-0-2 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had the offensive edge in the first half, holding a 9-5 advantage in shots. Both teams had two shots on goal and both keepers recorded a pair of saves.
- The Marlins put the pressure on in the second half, holding an 11-5 edge in shots. Freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had another two saves in the second half for R-MC.
- VWU appeared to net the game-winning goal in the first overtime period, but an offsides call negated the score. R-MC had two shots in the first overtime period and the Marlins had one, as both keepers recorded saves. Both squads had one shot in the second overtime.
Inside the Numbers
- VWU held an 18-17 edge in shots, including 5-3 in shots on goal. Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) and freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) both had four shots to lead the Yellow Jackets. Two of the shots by Czyzewski were on goal.
- Carr finished with five saves for R-MC.
The first NCAA Regional Rankings were released on Wednesday. (records through 10/14)
1 Christopher Newport11-1-0
2 The College of New Jersey 10-1-0
3 Centre 15-0-0
4 Randolph-Macon 9-0-1
5 Lynchburg 12-2-1
6 Rowan 10-1-2
7 Emory 9-4-1
8 Bridgewater 11-2-1
9 Virginia Wesleyan 8-3-1
Randolph-Macon will conclude its regular-season home schedule on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 11 a.m. against Bridgewater. It will be Homecoming and Senior Day.