ROANOKE, Va. - Freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) netted three goals on the afternoon, her first collegiate hat trick, and the Yellow Jacket defense recorded its 11th shutout of the season, as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team posted a 10-0 ODAC victory at Hollins on Wednesday to move back into second place in the conference standings.
Score: Randolph-Macon 10, Hollins 0
Location/Venue: Roanoke, Va./Berkley Field
Records: R-MC 10-1-2, 6-1-2 ODAC; HU 2-13, 1-8 ODAC
How It Happened
- After missing on their first 10 shots, the Yellow Jackets snapped the scoreless tie in the 15th minute as Czyzewski dribbled past three defenders and beat the keeper one-on-one to give R-MC a 1-0 edge. It was her seventh goal of the season.
- Junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) added a goal in the 23rd minute as the Yellow Jackets took a 2-0 lead. It was the sixth goal of the season for Nelson.
- Sophomore Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va./Deep Run) added the next two goals for the visitors, one in the 31st minute and another four minutes later, as the lead grew to 4-0. Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) and Nelson provided the assists for Skevington, who raised her goal total to five.
- Kent added a second assist on a goal by sophomore McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) in the 40th minute as R-MC took a 5-0 lead at intermission. It was Maier's first goal of the fall.
- The Yellow Jackets started the second half with a bang, netting three goals in the first four minutes. Czyzewski added a pair to raise her team-leading season total to nine, while senior Jenna Burns (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) tallied one as well to push the advantage to 8-0. It was the third goal of the season for Burns to go along with her three assists.
- Sophomore Sophia Basso (Ashland, Va./Patrick Henry) tallied the final two goals, one in the 68th minute and one in the 78th minute, to make the final score 10-0. Basso lifted her season total to three. Sophomore Taylor Drucker (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) and freshman Lauren Hepburn (Mohnton, Pa./Governor Mifflin) had assists on Basso's scores.
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Richmond, Va./Deep Run), senior Lydia Hall (Beaverdam, Va./Patrick Henry), junior MadiPowell (Wake Forest, N.C./Cosby) and freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) did not allow a shot in recording its 11th shutout of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC held a 28-0 lead on shots in the first half, including 20 shots on goal.
- For the match, the Yellow Jackets held a 47-0 advantage on shots, including 32 shots on goal. Czyzewski had seven shots, including six on goal. Nelson also took seven shots, five on goal.
- Goalkeeper Kendra Rich had 22 saves for Hollins.
- R-MC had eight corner kicks, while HU had none.
- R-MC reached double figures in wins for the first time since 2009, when the Yellow Jackets went 11-6.
- The Yellow Jackets recorded their 11th shutout, four away from the school record. The 1993 and 1996 squads each registered 15 shutouts.
- R-MC moved to No 8 in the latest NCAA South Atlantic Regional Rankings. (records through matches of 10/21)
1 Christopher Newport 13-1-0
2 Centre 16-0-0
3 TCNJ 10-1-1
4 Lynchburg 14-2-1
5 Rowan 12-1-2
6 Bridgewater 13-2-1
7 Emory 10-4-1
8 Randolph-Macon 9-1-2
9 Virginia Wesleyan 9-3-2
Randolph-Macon concludes its regular season with an ODAC contest at Guilford on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 6 p.m.