ASHLAND, Va.. – Six different players registered goals as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team outscored Marymount 7-1 on Sunday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 7, Marymount 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 8-0, Marymount 1-5-1
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets used corner kicks to record their first three goals. Sophomore midfielder Maddie Bauman (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield) bent in a corner kick from the left side one minute into game to give R-MC the early lead. Five minutes later, junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) sent in a corner kick from the right side that junior midfielder McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) finished to give R-MC a 2-0 edge. Bauman hit another corner kick from the left side that turned into an own goal as the Yellow Jackets took a 3-0 lead 13 minutes into the contest. Senior Abbie Winkelman (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) nailed a goal from 25 yards out in the 20th minute to make it a 4-0 contest. The Saints got their first shot on goal in the 33rd minute for their first score, making it 4-1 at the half. R-MC had a 24-4 advantage on shots, including 12-1 for shots on goal. Senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) paced the home ream with five shots, including four on goal. R-MC had an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- R-MC kept the pressure on early in the second half. Nelson put in her own rebounded shot just in front of the net in the 62nd minute to give the Yellow Jackets a 5-1 lead. It gave Nelson 10 goals for the season as well as 25 points. Sophomore forward Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) knocked in a shot in the 78th minute with assists going to sophomores Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) and Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield) to make it 6-1. Nelson was fouled in the box in the 88th minute. Junior midfielder Taylor Drucker (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) nailed the penalty kick to make the final 7-1.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC allowed just one shot in the second half, holding a 35-5 advantage for the match. Nelson had nine shots, with seven on goal. Kent finished with four shots and three shots on goal.
- The Yellow Jackets finished with a 14-0 edge in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) recorded a save in the second half for R-MC.
For The Record:
- R-MC has started the season 8-0 for the first time since 1995, when the Yellow Jackets won their first 13 matches before recording a tie against Mary Washington. R-MC finished the 1995 campaign with a 19-1-2 mark.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Bridgewater on Saturday, Sept. 28 for a 4 p.m. ODAC contest.