ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon junior McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va. / Deep Run) scored a pair of goals and, in the process, helped Randolph-Macon Women's Soccer set a new record for best start to a season, surpassing the 13 wins that the 1995 squad reached.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Emory & Henry 0
Location Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (14-0-0, 6-0-0 ODAC), Emory & Henry (2-11-1, 0-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- In the seventh minute, Maier put a goal into the right side of the net after a set piece. The play started with a tremendous corner kick from fellow junior Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax), who earned the assist.
- Kent had a great look in the 38th minute, but it was saved by the Wasps' keeper. Sophomore Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax) had another close shot moments later, but it barely escaped to the right. She also took a look at goal, but it was saved.
- R-MC got onto the board with about 30 seconds to go in the frame. Sophomore Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va. / Smithfield) took the ball along the left wing and passed back across the box to an open senior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va. / Deep Run). Silva placed it in the bottom left, giving the Yellow Jackets a 2-0 lead at halftime.
- Senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax County) and sophomore Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Pa. / Gettysburg) got a few solid chances in the first few moments of the second half. Nelson's shot when wide as did Soliday's. Soliday's second was on target but blocked.
- Junior Taylor Drucker (Glen Allen / Deep Run) got two shots in a row around the 61st minute. Her first was blocked and the second slipped just wide. Nelson had another shot a few moments later as well which required a save from the E&H keeper.
- Sophomore Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay School), returning to the field for the first time this season, made a shot in the 70th minute that also was saved just barely.
- Maier sent another into the net in the 75th minute. Lee, who was along the left side of goal, just outside the box, passed back to Maier, who was at the top left corner of the box. Maier booted a big shot and the ball curved just above the keeper's hands and into the net. That settled the final score at 3-0.
Inside The Numbers
- Freshman Kate Weir (Springfield, Va. / West Springfield) played especially well defensively. She was able to range between sidelines in the entire defensive third, consistently winning defensive battles and redirecting the ball towards the attacking third.
- Senior Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa. / Gettysburg Area) as well as Soliday worked to get multiple chances in the offensive third, including along the wings and into the box.
- In the midfield, sophomore Maddie Bauman (Smithfield, Va. / Smithfield) and Drucker worked to win first balls and steal possessions from their opponents. Drucker was critical in relief from the bench in the later stages of the first half and early in the second half.
- Nelson led the Yellow Jackets with five shots, including two on goal. R-MC outshot E&H 31-1.
- The Yellow Jackets earned nine corner kicks, while limiting E&H to none.
New Program Record
Randolph-Macon has set a new program record for best start to the season. The 2019 team is now 14-0-0 on the season, which surpasses the 1995 team, which started the season 13-0-1. That team finished 19-1-2 and appeared in the NCAA Tournament.
R-MC remains at home for the next three games. The Yellow Jackets will face Lynchburg on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00 PM.