ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Olayemisi Ogunshina (Baltimore, Md./Wilde Lake) and freshman Kelsie Grice (Hoover, Ala./Charlotte Country Day) posted straight-set singles wins as third-seeded Randolph-Macon shut out No. 6 Shenandoah 5-0 Saturday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the ODAC Women's Tennis Championship at the Banks Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets (15-5) have won seven straight matches and 10 of their past 11.
R-MC won all three doubles matches to take control of the match at 3-0. Senior Angelina Sportelli (Mechanicsville, Va./Lee-Davis) teamed with freshman Toni McDonald (Richmond, Va./Varina) to take the first point at No. 1 doubles 8-2. Grice and Ogunshina finished shortly thereafter at No. 2 doubles 8-2.
Freshmen Melissa Tomlin (Prince George, Va./Prince George) and Molly Jesseman (Williamsburg, Va./Warhill) had a tougher match at No. 3 doubles. They held a slim 6-4 lead and fell behind 40-love in the 11th game. The duo battled back to win the game and completed the 8-4 victory one game later.
Ogunshina gave the Yellow Jackets a 4-0 advantage with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. Grice followed shortly with an identical 6-0, 6-1 victory to clinch the match for the Yellow Jackets.
R-MC advances to the semifinals of the ODAC Championship on Saturday, April 26 at Sweet Briar. The Yellow Jackets will face #2 Roanoke, a 7-2 winner over #7 Emory & Henry. R-MC dropped a 6-3 decision at home to the Maroons during the regular season.
Randolph-Macon 5, Shenandoah Hornets 0
1. Angelina Sportelli (R-MC) vs. Molly Barb (SU) unfinished
2. Kelsie Grice (R-MC) def. Shannon Allin (SU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Toni McDonald (R-MC) vs. Amy Rapp (SU) unfinished
4. Olayemisi Ogunshina (R-MC) def. Rachel Gross (SU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Melissa Tomlin (R-MC) vs. Amber Lake (SU) unfinished
6. Caty-Betz Holcomb (R-MC) vs. Caitlin Tilton (SU) unfinished
1. Angelina Sportelli/Toni McDonald (R-MC) def. Shannon Allin/Molly Barb (SU) 8-2
2. Kelsie Grice/Olayemisi Ogunshina (R-MC) def. Amber Lake/Rachel Gross (SU) 8-2
3. Melissa Tomlin/Molly Jesseman (R-MC) def. Amy Rapp/Caitlin Tilton (SU) 8-4