VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The third-seeded Randolph-Macon Women's Tennis team bowed out of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Saturday afternoon as the second-seeded Lynchburg Hornets won 5-2 in the ODAC semifinals.
Score: #2 Lynchburg 5, #3 Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Everett Tennis Courts
Records: Randolph-Macon (14-3), Lynchburg (18-2)
How It Happened
- In doubles action, R-MC got the win in the first doubles match to complete at the No. 1 flight. Senior Stephanie Yeager (Fairfax, Va. / Robinson Secondary) and junior Morgan Fuqua (Richmond, VA / Mills Godwin) defeated LYN's Christina Harris and Caroline Guill 8-4.
- But Lynchburg got wins in the other two flights and Sarah Wyly and Lilli Altenburg won 8-7 after winning the tiebreaker set 9-7 against R-MC No. 2 Doubles team of juniors Kristin Dantzler (Williamsburg, Va. / York) and Landon Aud (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial).
- LYN also saw a win at No. 3 Doubles as Reagan Coon and Alissa Anderson won 8-7 (7-0) against junior Courtney Jenkins (Yorktown, Va. / York) and sophomore Isabel Wadsworth (Lake Wales, Fla. / Lake Wales).
- Ahead 2-1, LYN added a win at No. 5 Singles as Ellen Druebbisch defeated Wadsworth 6-0, 6-1.
- R-MC cut the lead the 3-2 as Dantzler defeated Wyly 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 Singles.
- But Lynchburg closed out the win with a win at No. 1 Singles and No. 6 Singles as Harris defeated Fuqua 6-3, 6-4 in the former and Coon topped Jenkins 6-3, 6-1 in the latter.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC finishes the season 44-6 in doubles play and 75-17 in singles play.
- Fuqua and Yeager complete the season 14-2 overall.
- Aud and Dantzler finish 12-2 this season.
- Jenkins and Wadsworth complete the season 10-2.
- In singles play, Fuqua finishes the season 8-6, including 6-6 at No. 1 Singles.
- Dantzler completes the season 11-2, including 9-2 at No. 2 Singles.
- Yeager finishes 2019 12-2 overall, including 7-2 at No. 3 Singles.
- At No. 4 Singles, Aud ends the season 11-1 overall, including 8-1 at No. 4 Singles.
- Wadsworth ends 2019 with a 9-3 record, including 6-3 at No. 4 Singles.
- In the final flight, No. 6 Singles, Jenkins ends the season 7-3, which includes 4-3 in the No. 6 flight.
All-Conference awards are set to be released next week. Lynchburg and Washington and Lee will compete for the ODAC Title tomorrow.