ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon forced a fifth set at home against the University of Mary Washington Tuesday night, but came up short in the deciding frame in a close 3-2 loss to the Eagles.
Score: Mary Washington 3, Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Mary Washington 4-1, Randolph-Macon 3-2.
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon claimed the first set in a tight 25-21 battle. R-MC got out to the 8-2 lead, which helped set the Yellow Jackets up for the final victory. Senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va. / Riverheads) set the pace with three kills and two blocks while freshman Danielle Larosa (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) added three blocks.
- Mary Washington claimed the second set, hitting .176 en route to the 25-13 victory. R-MC made seven errors in the frame, helping push the Eagles ahead. The 10-3 start for UMW also contributed to the win. The Eagles finished on a 6-2 run. Junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) made two kills and a pair of digs in the frame.
- A much closer third set still gave way to a 25-20 Mary Washington win, as the Eagles continued their hot hitting, killing nearly 23% in the frame. Junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) paced the Yellow Jackets with three kills while Wolfe added seven digs.
- R-MC fought back in the fourth set, hitting .200 and ending the set on an 8-3 run to win 25-22. The Yellow Jackets were a force above the net in the frame, tallying six team blocks. Senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va. / Liberty) tallied four blocks while Wolfe, Clark and freshmen Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) and Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) each added two. Warlick also tossed in five kills and Wolfe killed four volleys.
- The deciding fifth set saw the Eagles take a quick 4-1 lead. R-MC again fought back, closing the game to one point defecits at 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 and 9-10. But the Eagles got out in front 13-10 and were able to close the set out with the 15-13 win, despite R-MC making three of the last five points.
Inside The Numbers
- Hall and Wolfe made nine kills each and were followed close behind by Clark who had eight. Fitzwater and Warlick each made five kills as well.
- Randolph-Macon as a team made 15 blocks in the match. The Yellow Jackets were led by Fitzwater, who made eight blocks on the night. Clark added five blocks, while Koch, Larosa and Wolfe each added three.
- Wolfe led the team defensively with 21 digs. Junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) and sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) each added 12.
- Tender was the team leader for assists, tallying 20 on the night. Fellow junior Emily Steffan (Salem, Va. / Salem) also added 10.
- Warlick made a pair of service aces while Fitzwater, Steffan and Tender each contributed an ace.
Randolph-Macon will head to the Marymount Invitational in Arlington on Friday and Saturday. The team will play Eastern and Wheaton (Ill.) on Friday followed by Marymount and Washington College on Saturday. Friday's matches are at 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM while Saturday's matches begin at 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM.