LYNCHBURG, Va. – Randolph-Macon women's volleyball got a straight set victory over the Randolph WildCats Tuesday evening. It marked the team's first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the season in what was the first ODAC contest for the Yellow Jackets.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Randolph 0
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./RAD Center
Records: Randolph-Macon, 5-5 (1-0 ODAC), Randolph, 2-8 (0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC got out to a quick lead in the first set, getting to a 9-3 lead. Randolph made a slight run, finding five of the next six points, but R-MC was able to keep the WildCats at enough of a distance that the Yellow Jackets secured the victory 25-20. Junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) led the Yellow Jackets with five kills followed by senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va. / Riverheads). Freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) tallied eight digs in the set.
- The second set led to another R-MC jump, as the Yellow Jackets got out to 5-3 to begin the set. Randolph kept the set close though. The WildCats got a 6-5 lead, but R-MC used a pair of kills by Clark to continue getting separation. But Randolph wouldn't go away. The WildCats tied the set at 9-9 and 10-10 while R-MC got a kill by freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) to tie the set at 11. The back-and-forth continued until R-MC a pair of critical kills from junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover), which, along with errors by Randolph, push R-MC up to 17-13. R-MC finished the set with a three-point run to win 25-19.
- Randolph had the momentum heading into the third set. The WildCats took the lead 6-3 before junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) tied the game at 6-6 with a kill. Randolph again pushed out to a 13-10 lead, but R-MC came storming back to tie the set at 14-14. The tug-of-war type set continued until Randolph had set point at 24-19. Randolph-Macon then ripped off nine straight points to get the set and match win 26-24.
- R-MC hit above .222 for the entire match, including .302 in the first set and .310 in the second set.
- Tender set a career-high 31 assists in tonight's match.
- Clark led the team with ten kills, followed by Hall with nine and Wolfe with eight.
- Koch was the team's block leader with four, while Hall followed closely behind with three and Clark and Tender each added two.
- Warlick led the team defensively, tallying 18 digs. Warlick also scored four service aces in the match, including three in the final four points.
Randolph-Macon's match against Johns Hopkins, schedule for 5:00 PM on Friday at Crenshaw Gym, has been postponed with a makeup date to be determined later. The next match for the Yellow Jackets is slated for Wednesday, September 19 at 7:00 PM in Harrisonburg against Eastern Mennonite.