ASHLAND, Va – Randolph-Macon women's volleyball hit nearly .600 percent in the first set, winning 25-11 en route to a 3-1 victory over Old Dominion Athletic Conference rival Washington and Lee Wednesday night. The win, R-MC's third of the ODAC schedule, continues the unbeaten streak in the conference, which has now extended to 42 matches.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Washington and Lee 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (7-5, 3-0 ODAC), Washington and Lee (5-8, 2-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC took the massive 7-1 lead in the first set, and really never looked back. Making no errors in the first frame, the Yellow Jackets soared to the 25-11 victory on a five-point and a four-point run through the set.
- After ceding the first point of the second set, R-MC got a trio of points before seeing ties at 3-3, 4-4, 5-5-, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8 and 9-9. A pair of W&L kills gave them the two point advantage and they quickly got another pair, going up 13-10. Both teams inched along until R-MC made a strong effort with three points in a row to bring the score to 20-18. As W&L approached set point, R-MC made advantage of a pair of W&L errors to tie the set at 23-23. But W&L would finish with a pair of kills to win the set 25-23.
- R-MC had the fast start yet again, going up 4-0. W&L used momentum from their set win to take a 5-4 lead with five straight points. After seeing ties at eight-all and nine-all, R-MC began to make it's push forward with four of the next five points to go up 13-10. W&L came back to grab a tie at 14-14 and 17-17, but R-MC closed out the set with eight of the next ten points to win 25-19.
- W&L took a 4-2 advantage to begin the fourth set, but R-MC came storming back. Eight straight points for the Yellow Jackets ceded the 10-4 lead to R-MC and forced a pair of early timeouts for the Generals. R-MC controlled much of the set, getting another run of four points. Late in the set, the Generals made a run at the win. Six of seven points went W&L's way and cut Randolph-Macon's lead to three at 19-16. The Generals got as close as one point the rest of the way, but R-MC finished on a 4-1 run to close the set and the match at 25-21
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC hit .593 in the first set, making 16 kills and no attacking errors and was not close behind with a very good set in the third, hitting .441. Overall for the match, the Yellow Jackets hit .287.
- Senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va. / Liberty) made 12 kills on 18 attacks and just one error, hitting .611 for the match.
- Junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) made 15 kills, the leader amongst all players on the court. He added a solo block and a pair of block assists to total 17 points.
- Freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) led the team with six blocks in total, including one solo and five assists. She also hit .667 on the night, making no errors on 12 attacks with eight kills.
- Freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) led the team in digs with 26, a match and new career high. Sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) had ten digs as well. Loewe added four service aces, which included three in a row in the third set, helping to contribute to R-MC's push during the eight point run.
- Sophomore Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) made 30 assists on the night, nearing her career high of 31 set in the match against Randolph. Freshman Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area) made 17 assists as well.
- Junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) also made no errors on the night, tallying eight kills on 30 attacks.
Randolph-Macon will face Guilford and Emory & Henry on Saturday in Emory, Va. as part of an ODAC Tri-Match at Emory & Henry College. R-MC will face the Quakers at 11:00 AM and the Wasps at 2:00 PM.