WINCHESTER, Va. – Randolph-Macon women's volleyball earned the second four-set victory in as many days, defeating Shenandoah University 3-1 on Thursday night in Winchester.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Shenandoah 1
Location/Venue: Winchester, Va./Wilkins Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (10-6, 6-1 ODAC), Shenandoah (7-10, 2-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC got an early lead thanks to a six point run, which helped push the Yellow Jackets ahead 8-4. A five point run through the middle of the set pushed R-MC ahead 16-7 and the team finished the set out on a 7-3 run to win 25-15.
- R-MC started the second set with seven straight points. Shenandoah got as close as three, bringing the score to 11-8, but R-MC was able to keep the distance and launched into another run, this time of 8-1 to go up 20-11. The Yellow Jackets finished the set with five straight points to win 25-13.
- Shenandoah played the third set much closer. The teams traded the lead and forced each other into ties for much of the first set. Shenandoah took a lead early, getting ahead 9-6. SU hit a pair of three point runs to keep the lead and expanded it to 15-8. R-MC got a great series of its own, scoring the next nine of 12 points, which included a trio of kills from junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover), two by junior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) and one each by senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va./Riverheads) and junior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville). The two teams traded 3-0 runs which put Shenandoah up 24-20. R-MC fought back to tie the set at 24-24, but Shenandoah got the win by two finishing the set 26-24.
- R-MC wasn't taking any chances with the fourth set. After each team traded an attack error to start the set, the Yellow Jackets ripped off 13 of the next 14 points. The teams traded points over the middle of the frame, but R-MC's early led kept it ahead until the Yellow Jackets pushed out with four straight points, going up 23-8. SU got a trio of points to cut the lead to 12, but R-MC finished the frame with a kill from Clark and block by Clark and freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson).
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC hit .200 on the match, including .222 in the first set and .268 in the second set.
- Hall and fellow junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) shared the title of game's kill leader, each scoring 16 on the game. Wolfe's mark is a new career high.
- Freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) tallied a career-high 30 digs, which was a season-high for any one Yellow Jacket in 2018. Wolfe also dug up 17 volleys, junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) dug up 15 and sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) made 14 digs.
- Warlick also added R-MC's only three service aces of the match.
- Tender made 37 assists in the match, which is also a new career high for her. Sophomore Emma Young (Highland Park, Ill. / Highland Park) and freshman Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area) added six and eight assists respectively.
- Clark and fellow senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va. / Liberty) each made seven block assists, with Fitzwater throwing in a solo block. Koch added two blocks with Jones and Hall each added one.
Randolph-Macon face Lynchburg at 7:00 PM on Tuesday, October 9 in Lynchburg.