LYNCHBURG, Va. – Randolph-Macon women's volleyball had an active game at the net as the team totaled 14 blocks and was led by freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson), who made seven blocks along with senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va./Liberty) and junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) who each made five.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Lynchburg 1
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Turner Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon (11-6, 7-1 ODAC), Lynchburg (8-10, 3-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The entire first set was very close for both teams. The first set saw ten total ties as the teams battled back and forth. Lynchburg got the lead after a 19-19 tie and the Hornets finished the set with four straight points and got the win 25-20.
- The second set was similar, but R-MC found opportunities earlier in the frame. The Yellow Jackets got ahead 7-5 and got four straight points to go up 12-7. Randolph-Macon kept the pace as R-MC went on to score another five of the next six. R-MC would score another five of six before Lynchburg got four points in the waning moments. But the Yellow Jackets finished out the set with a kill by junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) to win the set 25-15.
- The close early chances were repeated in the third set. R-MC turned on the jets after a 5-5 tie and again got a solid lead on Lynchburg with five straight points. R-MC and Lynchburg traded points through much of the middle of the set, but R-MC's early lead helped keep it ahead of the Hornets until the final points, where R-MC scored five of six to finish the set with a pair of points to win 25-14.
- R-MC started with a 6-1 in the fourth set, but Lynchburg surged back to bring the score within two. R-MC extended its lead to 13-6. Lynchburg found a trio of points before R-MC added another two to keep the lead at six. Lynchburg would get as close as three points twice – at 19-16 and 20-17 – before R-MC closed out on a 5-3 run to win 25-20 and earn the match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon hit .252 for the match, including .556 in the third set, where the team made no errors on ten kills.
- Hall led all scorers on the night, gaining 13 kills. Senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft/Riverheads) was close behind with eight kills.
- R-MC had a trio of solo blocks from Fitzwater, Hall and Koch. Koch also had six block assists, Fitzwater finished with five, Wolfe with four and Clark and junior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) each tallied three. Hall gained one as well.
- Freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led R-MC with 21 digs on the night. She also tossed in three service aces, part of R-MC's nine total on the night. Fellow freshman Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area) and junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) each had two aces while Koch and sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) each had one.
- Tender paced R-MC with 21 assists while Gubba tallied 15.
- Hall hit .314 on 35 total attacks. Koch made no errors on 17 attacks to hit .294 on the game.
Randolph-Macon will host the R-MC Invitational this weekend. On Friday night, R-MC will face St. Mary's at 5:00 PM, while the sixth-ranked Juniata Eagles and Messiah Falcons square off at the same time in Alumni Gym. Then on Saturday, the Yellow Jackets will face the nationally-ranked Eagles at 11:00 AM and Messiah at 2:00 PM. Washington and Lee will also join the Invitational, playing Messiah at 11:00 AM and Juniata at 2:00 PM.