ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) recorded 10 kills and 26 total attacks, and junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) registered 20 assists, as the Randolph-Macon women's volleyball team blanked Hollins 3-0 Wednesday evening in ODAC action in Crenshaw Gymnasium as the Yellow Jackets secured the top seed in next week's ODAC Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Hollins 0 (25-16, 25-9, 25-17)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: R-MC 17-7, 11-1 ODAC; HU 9-16, 1-11 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets trailed 5-4 in Game 1 before scoring eight straight points to take control 12-5. HU cut the deficit to five at 15-10 before R-MC put up four straight to go ahead 19-10. HU trailed 21-16 before the Yellow Jackets tallied the final four points for a 25-16 victory. Freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) paced R-MC with five kills and an attack percentage of .500. Hall and senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va./Riverheads) both had nine total attacks, while Clark added two block assists. Tender tallied 10 assists, while junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) had four digs.
- R-MC scored the first three points of Game 2 and never trailed. The Yellow Jackets led 13-4 before scoring seven straight to push the advantage to 20-4. R-MC would record a 25-9 win. The Yellow Jackets had an attack percentage of .289. Hall had four kills and 11 total attacks. Kock had one block and a pair of block assists. Tender totaled 10 assists, while Clark added five digs.
- The Yellow Jackets trailed 9-7 in the third game before scoring twice to knot the score at 9-9. HU led 13-12 before R-MC closed on a 13-4 run to record a 25-17 win. Clark had five kills, while Hall and junior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) both added four. Hall had an attack percentage of 833, while the team posted an attack percentage of 281. Junior Emily Steffan (Salem, Va./Salem) had nine assists, while freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) had five digs.
Inside The Numbers
- Along with Hall's 10 kills, Koch added nine and Clark tallied eight.
- Koch had an attack percentage of .500, while Tender was at .429 and Jones had .375.
- Warlick topped the team with 10 digs, while Clark had nine.
- Koch had one solo block and four assisted blocks.
- R-MC tied for first in the ODAC standings with Washington and Lee with 11-1 conference marks. The Yellow Jackets earned the top seed in the ODAC Tournament by virtue of their 3-1 victory over the Generals on Sept. 26. R-MC will host a quarterfinal match on Wednesday, Oct. 31 in Crenshaw Gym.
- Prior to the match, the Yellow Jackets recognized their senior players, Emily Fitzwater and Mariah Clark (pictured below), as well as four-year manager Eddie Saunders.
Randolph-Macon will conclude its regular season this weekend in the Emory National Invitational. The Yellow Jackets will meet fifth-ranked Thomas More on Friday, Oct. 26 at 12:30 p.m. At 7 p.m. that evening, R-MC will face host and eighth-ranked Emory. On Saturday, Oct. 27, the Yellow Jackets will take on Birmingham-Southern at 12:30 p.m. and Salem at 3 p.m.