ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) tallied 28 assists and sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardstown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) registered 17 digs as the top-seeded Randolph-Macon women's volleyball team recorded a 3-0 victory over No. 4 Virginia Wesleyan in the first semifinal match of the 2018 ODAC Tournament Friday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: #1 Randolph-Macon 3, #4 Virginia Wesleyan 0 (25-15, 25-15, 25-21)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 20-10, VWU 16-12
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in Game 1 and never trailed. The lead grew to four at 6-2 when the Marlins called their first timeout. The advantage grew to seven at 13-6 when VWU used its second timeout. R-MC kept the pressure on and pushed the lead to 18-9. The Marlins scored three straight to cut the deficit to six at 18-12 before the Yellow Jackets put up three straight to make it 21-12. R-MC would maintain control and post a 25-15 victory. The Yellow Jackets had an attack percentage of .438, as they committed just two attack errors. Junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) had six kills and eight total attacks, while senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va./Riverheads) added four kills on nine attacks. Tender tallied 10 assists, while six Yellow Jackets had a pair of digs apiece. Senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va./Liberty) and junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) both had two blocking assists.
- R-MC started strong again in Game 2, moving out to a 7-1 lead. VWU used a 7-3 spurt to close within two at 10-8. The Yellow Jackets led 11-9 before tallying six straight points to expand their advantage to 17-9. The lead grew to 10 at 20-10 before R-MC registered a 25-15 win. The Yellow Jackets again committed just two attack errors and had an attack percentage of .350. Clark and Hall both had four kills, while Hall had 13 total attacks. Tender registered 11 assists, while Loewe had eight digs.
- Game 3 was the tightest of the match. VWU sprung out to a 3-0 lead and was up 9-5 when R-MC used its first timeout. The Marlins held a 12-7 advantage before the Yellow Jackets posted six straight points to take their first lead at 13-12. The teams stayed within one point of each other until VWU took a two-point edge at 18-16. When the Marlins went up 20-17, R-MC took its second timeout. The Yellow Jackets responded with a five-point spurt to take a 22-20 lead. R-MC finished on an 8-1 run to take the final game 25-21. Tender had seven assists, while Clark delivered four kills. Loewe had six digs, while Fitzwater and junior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) both had two block assists.
By The Numbers
- Clark finished with 12 kills and 26 attacks, while Hall had 10 kills and 23 attacks. Wolfe had 10 digs. Fitzwater had five block assists.
- Randolph-Macon advances to the ODAC title game for the fourth consecutive year. The three-time defending champion Yellow Jackets will face No. 2 Washington and Lee on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.