ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Volleyball outhit Mary Washington .235 to .180 en route to a 3-2 victory Wednesday night. UMW won sets one and three, while R-MC won sets two, four and five.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Mary Washington 2 (24-26, 25-23, 21-25, 25-23, 15-6)
Location/Venue: Fredericksburg, Va./Anderson Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (4-0), Mary Washington (1-3)
How It Happened
- Mary Washington got ahead 9-4, forcing a Randolph-Macon timeout. Out of the strategy session, R-MC cut into the lead, but UMW extended it once more. R-MC cut the lead to just one though, thanks to a 6-1 run, but UMW kept the pressure on and never let the Yellow Jackets get on top. R-MC earned ties at 22-22, 23-23 and 24-24, but UMW finished the set with two points to win 26-24.
- R-MC did not allow a repeat to occur in set two. The Yellow Jackets got ahead early, laying down a 5-3 lead. That extended when R-MC got on an 8-3 run. The Yellow Jackets stayed in the driver's seat for much of the set, though UMW did gain a 9-4 run late, tying the set at 23-23. But seniors Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) and Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) finished the set off with a pair of scores to win the set 25-23.
- Taking an almost carbon copy look to set one, UMW went up early and forced an R-MC timeout at the 8-4 score. The timeout allowed R-MC to regroup and go on a 6-1 run to take the lead 10-9. UMW grabbed momentum and was able to advance a lead of its own again, locking R-MC at 11, while the Eagles jumped ahead to 16. The Yellow Jackets were never able to get back in front and UMW won the set 25-21.
- The fourth set was tight from the start. R-MC took the first advantage, but UMW stole the momentum right back. The teams played to ties at 8-8, 9-9, 10-10 and 11-11. But a service ace by freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) proved to be the spark R-MC needed as it tied the set at 12-12 and started a 6-2 run, which put R-MC ahead. UMW did climb back in to the set to a 21-21 tie and got two away from the set and match win, but R-MC rallied for four-in-a-row to close the set 25-23.
- The Yellow Jackets held nothing back in the final set. R-MC jumped out to a 4-0 lead and ceded just one point to UMW before the teams switched sides. UMW did rally off four of five through the middle of the set, but R-MC allowed just one more point to the Eagles after that, winning the set 15-6.
Inside The Numbers
- Parker made 17 kills and hit .238 on the night, leading the team in attacks as well with 42. Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) was not far behind, hitting an impressive .298 on 37 attacks and completing 15 kills. Senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) and sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) each added eight kills, while Jones finished with seven.
- Tender led the Yellow Jackets with 26 assists, while sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) added 17 assists.
- Parker also led the team with three service aces, while Gubba added two.
- Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) led R-MC with 14 digs while Parker threw in 12.
- Senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) had nine blocks on the night, with one being a solo effort. Wolfe and Koch each added four.
Randolph-Macon will host the Randolph-Macon Invitational this Friday and Saturday in Crenshaw and Alumni gyms. The schedule is as follows:
Friday, September 6
Randolph-Macon v. Marymount (Crenshaw)
Marymount v. Averett (Crenshaw)
Randolph-Macon v. Susquehanna (Crenshaw)
Averett v. Salisbury (Alumni)
Saturday, September 7
Randolph-Macon v. Salisbury (Crenshaw)
Averett v. Susquehanna (Alumni)
Susquehanna v. Marymount (Crenshaw)
Randolph-Macon v. Averett (Crenshaw)
Marymount v. Salisbury (Alumni)