ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) had 14 kills and 26 total attacks, while senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) added 12 kills and 20 total attacks, as the Randolph-Macon women's volleyball team swept Lynchburg 3-0 in ODAC action Wednesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Lynchburg 0 (25-12, 25-21, 25-19)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon 17-4, 8-0 ODAC; Lynchburg 13-7, 4-4 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets tallied the first three points of Game 1 before the Hornets scored the next two. LYN twice got within one, including 5-4. R-MC would score eight of the next nine points to take control at 13-5. The Hornets would get no closer than seven the rest of the way. The largest lead was the final margin of 13 as the Yellow Jackets claimed a 25-12 victory. R-MC had a strong hit percentage of .556, with 15 kills and no attack errors. LYN had a hit percentage of .033. Jones paced the Yellow Jackets with five kills in Game 1, while Wolfe added four. Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) had eight assists and sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa./Grove City Area) contributed six. Freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J./Pope John XXIII) led R-MC with five digs. Jones and Sydney Koch both had a pair of block assists.
- R-MC netted the first two points of the second game before LYN leveled the score at 2-2. With it tied at 3-3, the Yellow Jackets put up four of the next five points to take a 7-4 advantage. The Hornets would rebound and take their first lead of the day at 13-12. LYN would go up 16-12, forcing an R-MC timeout. A kill by Jones would end the Hornet run. The Yellow Jackets would score four of the next five points to pull within one at 17-16. R-MC would eventually pull even at 18-18 and reclaim the lead at 20-19. A surprise kill by Tender gave the Yellow Jackets a lead they would not relinquish at 21-20. R-MC scored five of the final six points to claim a 25-21 victory. Wolfe had five kills in Game 2, while Jones finished off three. Gubba posted seven assists and Tender added five. Junior Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) had half of R-MC's 18 digs. Wolfe and senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) both had a pair of block assists.
- The teams stayed within a point of each other early before the Yellow Jackets scored 10 of 11 points to take a 14-5 advantage. R-MC led 16-7 before the Hornets put up six straight points to pull within three at 16-13. A kill by Jones again halted the run. The Yellow Jackets would tally three straight to push the lead back to six at 19-13. R-MC would maintain control the rest of the way in clinching the match with a 25-19 win. Wolfe had five kills, while Jones and Parker chipped in four. Gubba recorded seven assists and five digs, while Tender added five assists. Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) also had five digs, while Loewe dug four.
By The Numbers
- R-MC has won 11 of its past 12 matches.
- The Yellow Jackets had a hit percentage of .311. Wolfe hit .500, followed by Jones at .450. The hit percentage for the Hornets was .051.
- Gubba finished with 20 assists, while Tender tallied 18.
- Loewe led the Yellow Jackets with 15 digs, while Parker had 11 and Gubba nine.
- The Yellow Jackets will hit the road for a Saturday ODAC doubleheader. R-MC will travel to Ferrum and face Roanoke at 1 p.m. and the host at 3 p.m.